So sure enough we did come home to a snow storm! I guess it is that time of year, I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week! Well New Orleans was so wonderful! Just when I thought I was doing something nice for Rob when I surprised him with a trip to South Bend Indiana, it turns out he had an even bigger surprise in store for me. I will get him back! I have never had anyone surprise me and say, "Hurry and pack your bags, we are heading to the airport!" I instantly had this huge surprise headache and a million things raced through my mind. A few minutes later my mother-in-law came to the door and assured me that the kids would be fine and she would take care of the fact that I had no food in the fridge and she would put gas in my car that was running on empty! So I knew everything would be fine and I just let go of all of my worries and I was bursting with excitement to be heading to New Orleans! You may remember when I posted about our first trip to New Orleans here (it is the second post down on that page). I fell in love with that city and rambled on and on about it in that post. It is kinda hard to read because the yellow text does not go with my background anymore. What Rob and I love most about that city is the unique culture. New Orleans played a key role in the history of our country from the beginning. Because it was one of the biggest ports in the world, because it was a melting pot of cultures such as slaves that worked the many plantations, creoles, cajuns, americans and more. And then there was the birth of Jazz music - I LOVE Jazz. I spent many hours just listening to all of the Jazz bands on the streets. They sing with so much soul - there is nothing like it. New Orleans is the city of street entertainment. There are artists plopped all over the streets just painting. There all sorts of entertainers, psychics, magicians, and musicians. We love it and I have not even mentioned all of the good food!
Here we are walking down Bourbon Street - which is interesting to walk down since it is the street made famous for Mardi Gras. I had forgotten about all of the crazy weird smells on that street - I don't want to know what those smells are.
Rob had to have some real New Orleans food that night so he went for a Shrimp Po Boy!
Oh my heavens here I am about to sink my teeth into a beignet from Cafe du Monde!
I just loved walking around the city taking pictures.....
This whole street was filled with psychics, it was so funny to hear what they were telling people.
One of many artists on the street.
Mardi gras beads hung from everywhere.
I went on a tour that included going through the lower ninth ward where there is still evidence of Hurricane Katrina everywhere. Many homes have been untouched even over 5 years later.
I thought the cemeteries were so fascinating how they were above ground.
I loved listening to this guy play and sing and dance.....
This magician blew my mind! Seriously all of a sudden these oranges and a cantaloupe were under his hat and cups - I was amazed.
He gave a girl a kiwi and had her hold onto it and then he asked a guy for a $20 bill and had him write his name on it. Then the bill disappeared, then he did some other tricks, then asked for the kiwi back. He cut it open with a knife and inside it was the $20 bill signed by the guy. I thought it was amazing!
Canal Street
More shrimp for Bobbo
Another trip to Cafe Du Monde - yum
Randomly an Indian float came down the street - with people dancing and singing - only in New Orleans.
More artists
This guy cracked me up. He made the little baby arms move and he would suck on the thumb. I walked up to him and he said, "Ma Ma, Ma Ma." Then a little boy walked up to him and he said, "Are you my big brother?" The kid ran away. Hilarious.
It was such a fun trip. The best part was spending so much time with Rob. I sure love that guy.
5 comments:
I am so jealous! I want to go to New Orleans so bad. Looks like a fun (and a little crazy!) place.
The pictures you took are awesome!
And every time I hear the word beignets, I think of "The Princess and the Frog" movie where Charlotte wants some "man catchin beignets!"
Yay! What a fun trip. I have never been to New Orleans and I love all your pictures, they are all very artistic. Such a nice surprise from your hubby, love it!
I would love to go back to New Orleans so bad and see so much more amazing stuff. I love that place. When I saw the pic with the beignets, my mouth started to water, Love those yummy pieces of heaven. I am glad you guys had a wonderful trip, and what a wonderful surprise.
What a fun trip! Dani, you're beautiful. And you have an awesome talent for photography. I miss you guys!
Trip looks amazing. It is so beautiful there. I'm glad you got a fun surprise break from the kids.
Post a Comment