Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In a rut

I am sitting here in a rut - this day being the 12th day I have been sick - fever, chills, aches, awful congestion, coughing, ear ache, jaw ache, sore throat....  I finally feel a little itty bit better today and have had no fever today.  Lincoln came down with RSV and an ear infection the same time I started to get sick but after breathing treatments and some antibiotics he is doing good now.  Before I got sick Liam and Lance were REALLY sick for a week and a half.  These last 3 weeks have completely drained me.  I have spent way too many nights being up with sick kids and being up just because I was so congested I could not breathe.  We have spent way too many days cooped up in our house.  Most days I have felt like I could barely move let alone take care of 3 children.  Thank Heavens for Rob who has not gotten sick and has spent every possible moment he could taking care of us.  He has been amazing - I am one lucky girl.  I think it is a miracle that he has not gotten sick.

I just have to be honest - having three kids is a challenge when I am not sick so these last few weeks have just about killed me.  I feel like my spirit and my heart have been just as sick as my body.  I feel like I have been broken down to the point where I feel like I have nothing left to give.  If you think I am being dramatic I am not - it has been that bad.  I am the compassionate service leader in my ward and I have just been dreading answering a phone call that someone else in the ward had a baby or is sick and needs meals - I just can't even take care of myself!  I have to say that I think Heavenly Father knew what an awful state I was in because last week I had many random calls from friends asking how I was doing.  My brother and two of my good friends brought us dinner last week - which was totally unexpected & I totally did not feel like I deserved it or that anyone should have to bring me meals when I am sick.  My sister in law helped watch my kids.  Also, it totally blew me out of the water when my two single brother-in-laws volunteered to watch my boys as well.  It is really hard for me to except help from people and I know that people have enough of their own burdens so it was a humbling week and I am still amazed that people were sooo nice to me.  They may be what kept me out of a mental institution last week.

Last wednesday was a particularly rough day - I was sicker than sick and felt like I could barely move.  Rob came home for dinner (which my friend dropped off - thank you again!) before he had to run off to his Elder's Quorum meeting - I told him he should not miss it because he had to miss the week before.  Liam and Lance were wrestling and being crazy and Lincoln was screaming.  Rob and I looked at each other - exhausted  - and let out a joke about how 3 kids is a big handful and maybe we were done having kids - he he (not thinking that our kids may be listening).  Then Rob ran to his meeting and I had to work up the energy to get the kids to bed somehow.  They were being particularly crazy and  disobedient and I could not handle it.  I just broke down and said, "I just can't handle you guys anymore."  Not my proudest moment.  Liam got a serious look on his face and said to me as if he was sure of it... "Mom, you don't like having 3 kids huh?"  Hearing those words felt like my heart was being crushed inside of me.  I told him that I loved his Daddy and him and his brothers more than anything in the world and nothing makes me happier than our family.  I told him that I was so sorry for what I said and that I didn't mean it.  I told him that I sometimes make mistakes and I only said that because I was so sick.  I tucked him in and kissed him goodnight and then went to put Lincoln to sleep who was screaming and needing my attention.  After Lincoln finally went to sleep I pulled out one of my favorite books, "Guess How Much I Love You."  I went in and pulled Liam out of bed and told him that I wanted to read him a story.  I could hardly hold my tears back as I read that book to my precious little boy.  Then I went on to tell him a long list of all of the reasons why I love him.  I could see the joy in his heart and I knew that he knew that he was so loved.

I honestly don't know how to sum up this crazy post.  I just had to spit some of this out.  Life can be hard.  But people do care.  And oh how I love the boys in my life - even when I am so so sick.  Oh and I have to be really careful about what I say around my little ones - even when I am joking.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Dani, just reading your story makes me think that sometimes when you think you are the only person who is suffering... you are not. I'm sorry for your last couple of hard weeks. I know it’s always hard to call someone and ask for help but really if you ever need anything I’m here for you and plus we live so close. Please call me. I can let your boys play with my dog...Oh wait they don’t like dogs...:)

Draper's said...

Dani, I hope you get feeling better! I can't believe you are still feeling yucky. You poor thing. I totally agree with you: three kids is hard work even when you are not sick. Please call me so I can help!

Grandma Sue said...

Hey Dani,
I think you're an amazing Mom to my Liam Lance & Lincoln. And yes, Rob is amazing too! Dad and I were saying yesterday how Liam Lance and Lincoln are so blessed to have you and Rob for parents.

Talking with you today I can hear that your sinus infection is clearing up - Praise the Lord! Know if my love and admiration.

Love you honey, Mom/GrandmaSue

McGuire's said...

I'm so sorry Dani. 3 little kids is so busy, and not much is worse than being sick and having sick kids. so stressful. I think we all have our breaking down moments. I sure have mine. You are such an amazing mama. I feel bad too when my kids say "your driving me crazy!" because i know were they've heard that from..... Hope you all get better soon.

Shaunee said...

Oh my goodness! It sounds like a page out of my own book. Even just yesterday, Cam left to go to YM and I totally lost it on the kids. I felt horrible afterwards when Zac came to me and said, "Are you happy Mommy?"
I think that being a mom is by far the hardest job in the world, and by far the most rewarding. You are doing a great job! I think it's good for us to write down our REAL feelings so we can realize that we aren't superwomen and those are the times we need the Lord the most.
Good luck with everything and I hope you guys all start feeling better. Next month, let's go to Cafe Rio!! That makes everything better :)

Jamie said...

What a bummer!! I'm sorry you've been so sick!! We've had more than our share of sickness and throwing up this year, but luckily I have managed to avoid it. I can't imagine having to take care of everyone while I am that sick. Good luck to you all!!

Steve & Kim said...

Darling I am so sorry. You should have called me or I should have just come over. You are such a great mom and love your boys so much. Those boys are so loved by the two of you and are blessed to have you as their parents. Good luck getting over the sickness.

Joanna McGuire said...

That last post was from me, my friend was logged into her account still and I forgot to change it. Sorry!!!

Kari said...

I wish I knew how sick you were when I dropped off those valentines. I would have helped you out. Dang you looked good for being that sick though!!! Let me know next time and your boys can come over and play!! We love having them. It keeps Colby from talking our ears off.

The Baker said...

3 kids is the biggest challenge. It doesn't make you a bad person or a bad mom to have a struggle with it. Just remember that Lincoln is still so little and when he gets bigger, it will be a super snap to go on about your day. The big kids help with the little kids and it all works out. I am grateful you shared. I think we all think we are alone in our 'bad day' boats. I am glad I am not the only human out there! But I have always admired you as a mom. You do amazing things, and you are amazing to those boys. I hope that someday I can glean even a portion of the patience you have for children. I aspire to be like you.
Thanks again.