I have come to the conclusion that this time of year around Liam's Birthday and now Lance's Birthday (since they are 11 days apart) is a time of accomplishment for me that I made it through another year of parenting! It came as a surprise to me that parenting is no easy task! Everyday when I wake up I need to take a minute to gear up for the task ahead of me! Though I live by my day planner and I try soooooo hard to be organized I must admit that most days are a juggling act of attempting to get myself showered and ready, getting my kids dressed and fed, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, paying the bills, trying to keep up with my calling, grocery shopping, playing with the kids, making dinner, keeping Liam from clobbering Lance, calming down temper tantrums, cleaning up toys...... and trying to stay sane and make life fun for my family in the meanwhile.
I feel really blessed to have heard Elder Ballard's talk at the last General Conference in which he asked the question, "What can you do as a young mother to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?" Then he advises, "Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments... Amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." He quoted a mother whose children were all grown who said, "The biggest mistake I made as a parent is the one that most of us make.... I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day. I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
That quote just makes me cry, that is exactly what I need to tell myself everyday! So I am taking a big step right now and pledging that this summer - starting today - I am going to treasure the doing a lot more! I am going to toss my day planner, let the laundry pile up, and spend less time doing the next thing and more time swimming, playing at the park, having picnic lunches, eating icecream, riding bikes..... This is a big step for me because I am a perfectionist, but if you come over to my house and it is clean - you should be disappointed in me!
8 comments:
That all just blows my mind! You have a lot on your plate, honey and I can't begin to understand where you're coming from, but I can say that I understand balance and that can be oh so hard to do!
your family is so cute! I officially joined the world of blogging! it is: rubysunrise.blogspot.com. I am excited to see you in a few weeks for Heidi's shower! yeah! ~joanna
I hit that same point after I had Zac. I realized that my kids were growing up too fast and I was spending too much time stressing over the little things. When I get all worked up and stressed out I tell myself, "In the long run, is it really worth it?" I loved Elder Ballard's talk on mothers. It was just what I needed to hear. I think I have reread it twice already! You're a great mom! Keep up the good work and have a great summer!
Thanks for the reminder!
I love that quote too! Man, it is really hard to live in the moment when you have a new baby that likes to cry, but I am trying! I can't wait to see your messy house!
Danielle, Everyone and anyone is invited to our little get togethers. I will tell you next time we have one.
That is the nice thing about being a nanny. You can have fun and play with the kids without worrying about the dishes and laundry and the messy house. It will be interesting how I deal with my own kids at my own house. I think I will be the same, trying to keep my house clean like it always is now. This is good inspiration for me and the future of me being a mother!! If you ever need me to come babysit and mess up your house I'd be delited!! Goodluck!!
That was my favorite talk in Conference and I just listened to it again yesterday. Those joyful moments sure make up for the not so joyful ones! :)
Post a Comment