Monday, September 13, 2010

Tumbling Class

This summer I enrolled Liam and Lance in a tumbling class.  It started out a bit rocky.  When Liam walked into the building for the first time he saw all of the big kids doing all sorts of gymnastic tricks and flips all over the floor and I think it really intimidated him - poor kid.  I had to explain to him that he would not be with the big kids, he would just be playing on the trampoline and other fun toys there.  He was really trying to be brave but inside I could tell he was scared to death about what this tumbling class entailed.  Liam had to have me right by his side the entire first class.  At one point I walked out of his view to throw something away and he freaked out!  It really caught me off guard because up to that point I had never seen him like that in a social situation before - and besides he was the biggest kid in the class, what was he afraid of?  I thought that maybe he was just getting older and becoming a little more self aware - but it turned out that was just the beginning of many experiences in and out of tumbling class where he became really nervous and wanted to stay right by my side.  He is getting better but he is still struggling sometimes with separation anxiety.  It is a good reminder to me to be patient with my kids and always make sure they feel safe and loved at home.  Their emotions and self esteem can be so fragile.  

Anywho, going back to the tumbling class.....  Liam felt more and more comfortable in each class.  However, he was really self-conscious and would try to be so careful about all the little stunts he did and always looked for his teacher's approval after everything.  Lance had a totally different experience.  He does not have a care in the world and does all sorts of crazy acrobatic tricks at home so he actually did really well in the class.  It was interesting to watch Lance run around like crazy climbing all over everything and doing all sorts of flips and then watch Liam being so cautious and hesitant.  I would definitely put Lance in another tumbling class but Liam really enjoys and excels in organized sports like soccer and baseball so I think we will just stick with those!

The expression on Liam's face in this first picture sums up how he felt on the first day of tumbling class.





















No comments: